Sunday, March 22, 2015

Signs! Signs! Signs!

I am sure by now you have seen those cute Subway Art signs. I am SOOO late to the game on this one! However, we had a Cub Scout Blue and Gold event (think the yearly big shin dig) and we like to give our den leders gifts for all their hard work. I decided I would take on that responsibility and I may have lost my mind!

Thankfully our pack which used to be quite large had split so instead of the 10 I had to do one year I only needed 6 this year. Cub Scouts is also in process of a lot of changes this summer one of which is changing from the Cub Scout Law to the Boy Scout Law. So I thought what a perfect opportunity to make something with the new Law because it was unlikely they would have anything of the sort.

This project was completed on my Silhouette Cameo and it was a lifesaver. I want to be clear this isn't a quick whip it out type of project it took me soo many hours and so many revisions I was driving my husband crazy!

Here is the finished project!

They were a HUGE hit at the party! The den leaders loved them and I was glad everyone appreciated the time and effort that went into them.

So now for the process which is what I am sure most of you want to know!

I decided not to use the Silhouette software for this particular project because I was using the Samantha Font (a paid font) and the flourishes aren't accessible from within the Silhouette software. So I designed this is Sure Cuts a Lot it took me about 5 hours and at least 6 revisions. I spent a lot of time on dafont to find just the right fonts.

Then I cut the design out on my cameo and weeded out all the excess vinyl.

Huge pile of excess!

I did this times 6! SO I actually did most of them while I was at the car dealership waiting for my oil to be changed. I got a LOT of strange looks but what else was I going to do when I was sitting there.

Just like I went through many revisions on the design I went through several on the application. I initially intended to put this on a wood board and went to Lowes and had them cut a 1x6x12 down into 12inch sections. They typically are pretty nice and will cut it for you they say 2 cuts for free (although I have never been charged but your mileage may vary on that). Unfortunately I learned a very valuable lesson 12 inch wide board isn't actually 12 inches wide!!! I had unfortunately already cut and weeded the designs so recutting wasn't going to happen. I also didn't discover this till I was at home. So I decided hey I have some canvases I will use those problem solved it will still look great. Of course nothing is that easy. I base painted all the canvases and then tried to apply the vinyl (oracle 631) it did not want to adhere. So I googled and tried modpodge it didn't help. I also read gesso might help. I thought great I have some and promptly whipped it out and applied it. Lets see if you can figure out my oops!


OOOPS! It was WHITE gesso! I tried peeling it off but realized it wasn't going to work. I also tried to just adhere it to the white to see if it would work and I would run and get regular gesso. NOPE nothing worked. I was about to have a nervous breakdown it was about 10p and I needed these for 6p the following day.

Now I decided to come up with a new plan. I pulled out that wood that was the wrong size and tested a piece of vinyl to see if it would stick. Success it did! Now I knew I needed wood but it was too late to get it. SO I figured it I would test and try a few methods and see what I could pull together for the morning.

One of my tests was to paint over the words and pull it off and I LOVED that look. I also tested a few methods with stain. I realized I could stain over the vinyl and wipe off the color on the vinyl but I didn't really want to leave it. I also tried staining over and removing the vinyl but the stain seeped. So ultimately I decided it was going to be:
1. Buy a plywood sheet and have cut to the right size!
2. Apply the vinyl!
3. Base paint the wood. Took 2 coats!
4. Remove the vinyl very carefully.
5. Seal with a spray.

I typically am LOST in Lowes it took me so long to decide what kind of wood to buy. I only choose Lowes because its my closest store too, I go to Home Depot as well when its convenient. I looked at the cheap plywood while the price was right since I footed the bill the look and quality wasn't what I wanted. I saw the MDF and I know people use it but again not what I consider a nice finished look.

Then I came across a sheet of Maple plywood in 4x8 sheets with either 1/4 or 3/4 thickness. I opted for the 1/4 because I knew it would hang easier since it was lighter.

They were kind enough to do multiple cuts although the guy did look at me like I was crazy! So I promptly went home and sanded but not much sanding was really required. TIP-For small quick things like this I really like the 3M Sanding Blocks they are easier on the hands then just a sheet and I don't want to pull out a sander either.

Once Sanded I applied the vinyl, and then painted. If you remember I needed these by 6pm and its now 930a so here is my trick to speeding up the two coats of paint.
 
Now that everything is nicely painted you just peel off the excess vinyl.
I used both the silhouette and Cricut weeding tools and personal preference I liked the Cricut. My husband who usually hates tedious work was a trooper and helped with this project without complaint. He said he didn't notice a difference but he may have just been being nice so I could use it :)

I hope this helps you create your own subway art!

No comments:

Post a Comment